- Craig Graziano
Get ready for a weeklong celebration of reading! The longest-running national literacy initiative in the country, Children's Book Week is dedicated to inspiring a love of reading in children and teens across America. From May 1-7, Central Rappahannock Regional Library is excited to offer a week of events that encourage young readers.
Grow a Reader Classes:
Specially trained staff present stories, songs, and activities that lay the foundation your child needs to get ready to read. We offer Grow a Reader classes for babies through age five on weekdays, as well as on evenings and weekends. Don't worry if you can't attend one this week. We celebrate early literacy every day. Click below to see schedules for upcoming Grow a Reader classes at each library branch.
City of Fredericksburg: Headquarters Library
Classes for Grades K-6:
- Cooper Branch: Wednesday, May 3, from 4:00-5:00
Fabulous Friday: Geek Out! Fun and games based on your favorite fandoms, from Star Wars to Harry Potter and beyond.
- England Run Branch: Friday, May 5, from 4:30-5:15
- Newton Branch: Saturday, May 6, from 11:00-11:30
- Newton Branch: Thursday, May 4, 9-1 (open hours); May 5, 9-5 (open hours), May 6, 9-1 (open hours)
Classes for Teens:
- England Run Branch: Monday, May 1, and Wednesday, May 3, from 3:30-5:30
- Headquarters Library: Tuesday, May 2, and Thursday, May 4, from 3:30-6:00
- Porter Branch: Tuesday, May 2, and Thursday, May 4, from 3:00-5:00
The Cage: Play video games, create art, and get together with fans of manga and anime. Drop-in. Grades 6-12.
- Porter Branch: Monday, May 1, from 6:00 to 8:00
May the 4th Be With You: Celebrate all things Star Wars with a showing of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and a mini Star Wars photo booth. Come dressed as your favorite Star Wars character to be entered into a raffle drawing! Teens & adults. Seeking more on Star Wars? Check out our "May the Force Be with You" Star Wars for Teens booklist.
- England Run Branch: Thursday, May 4, from 6:30 to 8:30
- Salem Church Branch: Saturday, May 6, from 2:30 to 4:30
- Headquarters Library: Saturday, May 6, 10:30. Registration starts at 10:00
Whether you like building, drawing or Boba Fett, you can join in on the fun, and celebrate Children's Book Week with your local library!